Old July 21st 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Air Sailing Regional Contest

LOL.......I flew quite a few Spratt contests (Dansville, HHSC, Mifflin, maybe MASA)
Among the memorable was Dansville, NY 25 years ago or so.
I got stuck on course low in a valley between Dansville and Corning so no radio.
I got back up, did a finish.
Called 2 minutes out, got a reply.
Did a finish with a, "good finish UH" from Charlie.

Later, I found out the last contestant was accounted for 2 hours earlier, Charlie was in the hanger a couple beers in.
Likely never saw my finish which was well below the stall airspeed for the ASW-20 I was flying.
May have been the "T8" and soon to be fiancé contest..... another story.....

I believe my, "first contest finish" was a "little guys meet" in region 2 flying against Kochanski, P3, Schwartz, Green and others. Somewhere about 1980, maybe before. Flying 1-26 002 with mom crewing.
Yes, that first finish is really cool.

Next biggy was calling 2 minutes at HHSC with my wife with a young first kid. I stated, "ice the baby bottle". She met me on the runway with a baby bottle filled with cold beer.

Gotta love a supportive crew. Don't **** them off!