Old March 24th 18, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

At 05:19 24 March 2018, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 8:40:29 AM UTC-7,

wrote:
Separately from the discussion about lenses, that FAA brochure is

conflat=
ing binocular vision and depth perception in general. Binocular vision

is
=
just one of many ways that our eye-brain system perceives depth,

and it is
=
only effective up to a distance of 6 feet or so. It is not of much
relevan=
ce to landing an aircraft.

Lack of binocular vision didn't seem to bother Wylie Post.

We need an AME to weigh in on this one. I once flew with an airline
captain who had lost one eye and the hearing in one ear, but was
still flying as a captain with an FAA demonstrated ability waiver.

RO