Old March 24th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:51:21 AM UTC-6, teck48 wrote:
I'm due for cataract surgery. Any good or bad experiences with lens implants for flying? Eye doc is recommending multi focus lenses (as opposed to mono focus). And a slightly different lens in each eye. Both multifocal, but dominant eye implant optimized for distance. Anyone have any experience? Thanks! –Tom

About a year an a half ago I had cataract surgery. At age 70 I decide that the clarity, distance and near of my vision was not what I wanted for flying and the ophthalmologist had been telling me I had cataracts. As a professional pilot I had used corrective glasses for at least 30 years but found those no longer gave me the field of vision I wanted to for soaring.
My research was inconclusive about multifocal lens implants. My wife had a bad experience with Lasik so the idea of two different lens did not excite me. I chose to have a TECNIS +3.25 implanted in my non dominant eye. I wanted 3 months during which I adjusted and experienced the new vision in that eye. Some haloing but the rest was impressive. Then I had the same lens implanted in the dominate eye.
Multifocal implants are relatively new. I based my choice on the prescription glasses I was using.