Old June 6th 05, 03:21 AM

As a newly certified glider pilot, Hurray!!! I am accustomed to using
field zero because this is how I was taught, BUT... I fly in Florida.
Our place is only 200'.
However, the thought of eventually going cross country has me
considering dumbing this QFE setting, but a few complications entered
my mind. Not to mention the accuracy of the instuments in club and
commercial planes. Nothing that simple math can't solve of course, but
nonetheless important when trying to operate with others in the flying
environment.
Examples:
Cloud base reported by other pilots as 4000',what are they determining
that on? QFE or QNH.
Signal to tow pilot to release me at 2000'. I pop off sooner.
Towing out and looking out for the magic 200'mark to turn back to field
in a rope break.
Granted, communication with tow pilot, incorporating the math, and of
course using good old "That looks about right" may solves these
mentioned scenarios, but I just thought, would it not be nice if QNH
was universally used by everyone even if my home field is a measley
little 200'MSL.?