Old November 30th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Who has priority on a taxiway?

On 2007-11-29 21:23:17 -0800, Dave said:

Roger all of that.... How about this: Once I decided to fly to a
quiet, uncontrolled airport that happens to have a good restaurant
within walking distance. While on final a helicopter comes in from the
side, and proceeds to hover over the far end of the runway. What he
was doing I have no idea. Since the runway was quite long, I decided
that there was no hazard, and continued my landing. I taxied to
parking (at the far end), and he landed the chopper nearby on the ramp
- and came over. Turns out he is a Sheriff's Deputy (on duty), and is
irritated about what happened. I assured him that I had seen him and
percieved no conflict - thus went ahead with my landing. He didn't
pursue the matter.

So who is right and who is wrong in that situation? I made an entirely
normal approach and landing - whereas he operated his helicopter in a
manner that unnecessarily conflicted with the flow of fixed-wing
traffic. He could just as easily have come in from the side and landed
immediately on the ramp. Since nothing came of it I just chalked it up
to experience. If I could have my druthers, I'd prefer not to have
helicopters around airplanes at all.

David Johnson

Obviously, he did not yield the right of way to landing traffic. Once
he lands he is supposed to get off the runway.

There is no requirement that other traffic clear the runway before you
land as long as there is no undue hazard to persons or property on the
ground.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor