Old January 28th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default See and avoid...

IIRC, the Australians licensed the FLARM design from Flarm Technology
in Switzerland, and then they engineered in the ADS-B
compatibility.From what I've seen in the FLARM manual, a US
manufacturer wouldn't be able to negotiate a license from Flarm
Technology. A US manufacturer would have to start with a clean sheet
of paper, and engineer a FLARM compatible and ADS-B compatible
device.

However, according to the Flarm web site, there are potential
intellectual property infringements, such as the one that Flarm
avoided in France. I don't have detailed information on what other
potential infringements may exist. But those, and money, would prevent
a US manufacturer from offering such a device.

Got someone interested in doing it, Ramy?

-John

On Jan 28, 1:13 pm, "Ramy" wrote:
What prevents a US manufacture to produce a Flarm/ADS-B compatible
device, similar to what was done in Australia?