Old May 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
STICKMONKE wrote:
I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and
cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

I have always used an autopilot if it's available for cruise flight only.
I hand fly all climb outs and approaches. As a matter of fact, since
nothing I have access to these days has an autopilot, I hand fly the
entire flight. G

Cessna and most other "heavy metal" manufacturers, as well as such
publications as "Professional Pilot" recommend use of the autopilot
immediately after takeoff to enhance scanning for traffic. Since the
overwhelming majority of mid-air's occur in the airport area and during
climb out and descent, that makes good sense.