Old June 16th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default FLARM Range

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 1:02:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi Andy

Very interesting, what parameters in the cfg File were changed? Do you have the cfg before and after for comparison?

Ueli

I was pretty surprised as I didn't think the config file would have , but there are some small differences in parameters that should not have any effect that I would predict. There was a change in the protocol from 6 to 7 - apparently that is important but I just put it in by rote copying as I have not read the spec. I didn't keep track of the config file from last year as I tried a lot of things to get PCAS nuisance alarms to go away. It was either this file ('Before', below) or one pretty close to it.

Befo

$PFLAC,DEFAULTS
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,ID,AA8E2F
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,61
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,61
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,1
$PFLAC,S,THRE,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,7500
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,600
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,2
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Andy Blackburn
$PFLAC,S,COPIL,
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N78AB
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,ASW-27B
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,9B
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15M
$file,dump

After:

$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,1
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,300
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,30
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASBEEP,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,ID,AA8E2F
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Andy Blackburn
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,2
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N78AB
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,ASW-27B
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15 Meter
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,9B
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Go figure.

It works now and it clearly didn't before - every flight showed range of ~1km immediately after changing to FW v6 and every flight since reconfig has shown the same range I had last year, prior to FW v6 upgrade (~8.5 km). The comparison I posted was two consecutive days at a contest flying with the same 17 gliders, so while there are always subtle differences in who you are flying close to and at what combinations of angles, it's about as close to a controlled experiment as you are going to get.

I have heard talk and read posts from other pilots reporting range problems after upgrading to FW v6, so I thought I'd post what worked for me.

Andy
9B