Old October 2nd 03, 06:11 AM
Ron

Not really. A fair number of people are injured or killed by
exploding truck and tractor tires. They do run just a bit more
pressure than your typical car tires, you know....

One can calculate the potential by finding the number of square inches, and
multiply by the pressure, assuming a tire is inflated when it blows up.

It can be quite a bit of energy...

I almost was killed too a couple of years ago while changing a flat tire...I
was on the lake ponchartrain bridge outside of N'awlins, and had a blowout
halfway across that 20 mile long bridge. While changing the tire, I notice a
car heading right for me..I move out of the way enough so that I only get a
glancing hit across my ass, as opposed to a square hit to my body. The car
that hit me kept going, right back into their lane, never slowing or stopping.

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter