Old October 1st 03, 07:11 PM
Kyler Laird

"James M. Knox" writes:

Maybe a simpler option, given that the FAA will get involved in any
permanent installation.

I like simple. I like not having to involve the FAA.

As I understand it, the real problem is not with
the fill port, but rather with the adapters some FBO's need not fitting
into the space.

The location of the fill port (behind all of our luggage) *is* a
problem. It's not the primary problem, but it's one I'd like to solve
while I'm working on this.

Go to your local welding gas supply company and have them order or make a
short (12" to 18") extension hose. One end fits your fill port. The other
end can be the same as your fill port *or* it can be some other connector
if you are finding them more common at FBO's. Either way, no adapters near
the aircraft fill port are needed.

Is there a reasonable way to do this such that access to the valve on
the tank is not required? I think I'd be quite happy using a 36" hose
with a one-way (fill only) valve near the tank. Then I could put a
common fitting on the other end with an easily-removed cap. That could
drape over/through the baggage or even be "temporarily" tacked to the
ceiling, leaving it readily accessible on trips.

Is that a reasonable way to handle it? Is a one-way valve sufficiently
safe? I'm guessing that something similar is done with the external
fill ports.

--kyler