Old July 19th 05, 02:06 PM

.......... :-)) wrote:
yep ...

XTC amphibian
Also the Merganser (spelling ??) Circa late 70's. Not sure if it ever flew.
This is the VW design refered to by another post.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking with Mr Merganser (also unsure of
the spelling) at a fly-in. He said the earlier attempt flew
beautifully
in the air but landing it was too dangerous. I previously heard about
the problems taking off from the water second hand.

This rather clearly implies that it did in fact, fly. His present
amphibian project is not a canard design.

Don't canard designs have a reputation for requiring a smooth
landing strip (paved, dry lakebed, etc) in order to take off
in a reasonable distance? Supposedly this is because a bumpy field
interferes with the establishment of laminar flow over the canard.

Seems like you'd have the same problem taking off from water.

--

FF