Old May 2nd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Kinda sad

"Peter Dohm" wrote:
Actually, the obvious remaining question (and it may be trivial in the
current scheme of things) is whether the builder of an Amateur Built
Experimental, which is expected to fall within the LSA specifications,
can make the initial flights as an LSP; or whether he would be
required to have a PPL or better in order to first demonstrate that
the performance is within the LSA performance envelope.

That is something of a chicken-and-egg situation. Would like to know the
answer - in the mean time some speculation:

I believe FAR 61.31(k) (specifically 61.31(k)(2)(iii)(B)) does not disallow
such flights by any certificated pilot per se. But obviously it isn't the
only operative FAR (such as the limitations of LSP).

Still, ss I understand it, 61.31(k) allows a private pilot, SEL, to fly
(for example) an experimental airship without having an airship rating.
Perhaps by the same line of reasoning a sport pilot may fly an experimental
aircraft that is not within the performance envelope of an LSA??

Hmmm.