Old March 23rd 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Default Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

I completely agree with the comment about a flap-only glider and would advise against a 1-35 as a first glider unless you have lots of flap-only power time.

The problem is that flaps are digital, they are either on or off, unlike the analogue nature of spoilers where you can vary their position as required. With flaps, once they are on you are pretty much committed to that glide path until touch down.

The other issue with the 1-35, (based on my one flight in one) is that I found it about the most unstable glider I had ever flown. With most gliders you can take your hand of the stick and it keeps going straight. The 1-35 I flew instantly departed stable flight when I let go of the stick. After landing, I described as a glider balanced on the head of a pin.

Get an LS4 or Discus, or even a Standard Cirrus, or if you are small enough, a Libelle as your first ship.