Old November 22nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
boB[_1_]

Default Helicopter Simulators ------ OT for Kevin or anyone

JohnO wrote:

Let us know how that goes.

What if any good pc based helicopter simulators are any good?

I've only flown MS's FS2002 and FS9 helicopters so I don't have any
experience with any other Sims. FS9 is not near realistic but I've read
that DODO Sim
http://www.dodosim.com/reviews.html
has tweaked a Bell 206 to realistically display Settling With Power,
Torque effect, Hot Starts, etc. I haven't bought it so I can't say much
about it. I do know I can neutralize my pedals, take my feet off
completely, and fly a traffic pattern in the FS9 Bell 206. Sometimes
the landing has some ground speed and my nose is not always lined up but
at any rate it's not realistic.

I did read at Hovercontrol.com they have had helicopter student pilots
who took the Hovercontrol Helicopter instruction course and then
actually hovered an actual helicopter with only 3 hours of real world
instruction. I don't know, it took me a bit longer than that, but if
true it says there is some benefit to FS9 as a training device for
procedures at least. Some rote knowledge of how the controls work I guess.

With the meds I'm taking my flying days may be over but I'm still hoping
to someday buy a GyroPlane and do some cross country exploring. My Army
retirement and my disability pay doesn't make me rich but then again,
maybe some day.......

--

boB