Old April 26th 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 1:38:33 PM UTC-4, Kenz Dale wrote:
What's the minimum realistic climb rate that should be acceptable for self-launch?

I can just tell you my experience with two different ships. My first self-launch was a Silent-IN Club. I got 400 fpm. Flew it for several years and put 500 hours on it. Great intro bird for self-launch.

But, my second self-launch is a DG-400. I get between 600-700 fpm at a much steeper angle. Immensely more comfortable. The oh crap period on climb out is much shorter. Love my 400.

Kevin
92