Old June 10th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default BFR?

Intuitively and without looking at the regs (in other words, a blind
guess):

A new rating in another class/category requires the issuance of a new
certificate and presumes instruction to a specific level of competence and
examination to demonstrate that, so no BFR is required. This is a new
beginning.

The BFR is a formalized procedure requiring both flight and ground
instruction. A Self Launch endorsement does not rise to the level of
either of the above, so it would not count.

At 14:37 10 June 2008, jb92563 wrote:
Here is another spin on the BFR question:

If I get a Self Launch endorsement in my log book for my glider
rating, is that
considered a flight review for the purposes of the BFR requirements?

In other words can I substitute a Self Launch Endorsement for a
regular BFR?

Ray