Old February 26th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Question For Old Naval Aviators

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:33:46 GMT, "Flashnews"
wrote:

remember this was an "inport" thing not regular ops and the mission was a
bag of mail and flight time for the AirBoss and prifly crew

The "smoking hole" (or big "SPLASH") is no respecter of status! :-)

we also did many crazy things like no-flap takeoffs with the clean Phantoms
(Ed must have done these more then I but we had true hard wings with the
B/N/J's) just because it enabled a better and tighter section takeoff and at
El Toro or Miramar you could launch two sections on the duals and be
airborne & joined with four in nothing flat - but loaded for a real war,
that would not happen; now the F-8 guys who would launch with their wings
folded - that took balls (no just kidding)

Taking off with wings folded IS considered bad form (even for F-8
guys)! ;-)

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão