Old December 29th 11, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
olddogcirrus

Default Standard Cirrus

On Dec 28, 3:38*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
Could I impose upon those of you more experience soaring types and ask
your opinion of the Standard Cirrus? *Pros? *Cons? *Indifferences? *I am
looking for my first ship.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Very good opinion of the Cirrus. Was my first glider and earned all
badges in it. Flying tail is pretty much a non issue, but as others
have said, need to have a firm grip on the stick at higher speeds.
Just be very careful and sure of what you are doing when installing
the tail, it will have limited movement and kill you improperly
installed, so do pay very close attention and double and triple check
the install. Other than that, a great bird, probably underrated on
handicaps. Climbs with anything and outdoes many. Straight forward.
Spoilers about average for its generation, no problem coming down.
Wheel brake generally weak, as are most Tost types of that era. Good
handling, good performing. Large enough inside for most larger
pilots. Wings not that heavy, but control hookup done by Braille, as
you have to reach over the spars and then down to get to them, unless
you have an added door over the hookups on the fuselage. Most don't.
Those early gel coats seemed to outlast a lot of the newer stuff. A
good honest bird you can actually go someplace in!

Steve