View Single Post
Old February 2nd 19, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Surfing and Soaring?

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers, but there seem to be some points of contact in terms of motivation, the experience, the quest, the immersion, the risk taking, the weather, the places, the compulsion, the high...

----------------------

I know several sailplane pilots who've also sailed or raced catamarans, surfed, wake-boarded, windsurfed, kite-boarded, kite-skied, downhill ski, backpacked, dabble in outdoor photography, enjoy watching weather, scuba diving, enjoy aviation in general, and otherwise have traveled the country at various times in their life.

The best common nexus I can identify is that we all seem to like participating in:

safe (a relative term), eco-friendly outdoor adventure sports (read hobbies that bring us closer to Mother Nature and her forces)

Additionally, there are artist types who outwardly don't come across as tough guys or risk takers that have been drawn in by our sport too, who've accepted the risks associated with our sport just because of the sheer beauty and joy soaring brings them. Millard Wells comes to mind.