Old July 22nd 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

Default Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

Dean damarkley gmail.com wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Garry O" wrote
"John Doe" wrote
Dan wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Orval Fairbairn o_r_fairbairn earth_link.net wrote:

The model airplane guys have a very small (about 15"
long, 5" dia) turbojet that they use on scale jet R/C
planes. It costs about $3000 US.

How much for maintenance and fuel?

It burns a quart of fuel in a minute or minute and a half.

Is it louder than a gas powered weedeater? Just curious.

Deafening.

100,000 RPM with every harmonic ever invented.

I think they missed the lower sub harmonics, but who can
hear over that racket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxT5H...eature=related

Some backpack fan powered paragliding. Looks like so much
fun, but dangerous.

I would imagine less dangerous than trying to in-line skate
with one of those things on :-)

It would be a riot, somewhere around 250 cc I guess, apparently
more than necessary. Also maybe too heavy.

this powered-skater thing reminds me of the rocket-powered
street luge. (used Aerotech APCP rocket motors.)

The whole concept sounds like a qualification entry for a Darwin
Award.

I have many years experience inline street skating, and designing
and building stuff. Street skating, on narrow or uneven sidewalks,
up and down curbs, and on rough streets presents a unique
opportunity for invention. Sail powered skating would be good if
not for the restriction of movement, that is similar to ordinary
pushing. Propeller powered skating is attractive because of
surface traction difficulties. There would be no need to pull
something, like a push stick, up a curb. Flexibility in motion is
a great asset of rough street skating, and propeller power would
allow for excellent freedom of motion. I mainly need to know how
propeller power compares to ordinary motor and wheel against the
ground propulsion.
--

See also Google Groups

Dean