Old September 16th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk

Default Present SSA crisis

Greg Arnold wrote:
There has been a lot of criticism of the Directors on RAS. However,
when you have a couple dozen well-meaning (but basically unqualified)
persons on the Board, and you get in this type of situation, probably
the problem is with the system rather than with the individuals.

Just my opinion here (Unlike the posts of Frank Reid, which are
indesputible facts), you are correct. It would still be in the best
intrest of SSA if the Executive committee were to resign.I think this
would help restore the membership's faith in SSA.

If the SSA survives, it really needs to hire an outside consultant who
is an expert on non-profit membership organizations, and who can advise
about the proper governing structure. For example, is it good to have
so many directors? Would it be better to have a much smaller governing
body, where each individual is directly responsible for something,
rather than the current situation where any individual is just a face in
the crowd, and bears no direct responsibility for his/her mistakes?

It would probably be good to keep the regional system intact, but
update the Executive board system.You should forward your ideas to your
regional director.I have been in contact with my regional director (Who
is good drinking buddies with Frank Reid), and he has assured me that
the SSA management is going to get a complete overhaul.

This leads to a point that someone else recently made on RAS -- maybe
what the SSA really needs is to hire someone (perhaps only as a
part-time advisor) who is knowledgeable about running a non-profit
organization, and who can provide continuing advice. Such people
probably are a dime a dozen in Washington. This may is the best
argument for getting the SSA out of Hobbs -- you just aren't going to
find the right people in Hobbs.

It has kind of amazed me that with all the money that flows through the
SSA every year, it is run mostly by part time volenteers.Dedicated full
time staff and a move out of Hobbs is exactly what they need.Take a
look at what the Academy of Model Aeronatics managed to do.Years ago
they were faced with declining membership, vitually nonexisant
participation in their national event, and an upstart competing
organization.They managed to turn all that around, and vastly improve
their magazine in the process.I see no reason (Other than the current
management) why the SSA couldnt do the same thing.