Old December 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chris

Default Commercial 250nm VFR flight - all 3 landings on the same day?

"Peter" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote

In England, the 300nm flight is difficult especially going 250nm from the
start point. It invariably means its an international trip or over a lot
of
water.

I manage to squeeze my in by a trip from Southend to Lands End and back to
Elstree via Plymouth and Henstridge.

The thought of having to go to France or across to Ireland was too much
and
the weather was too bad for Scotland (and that would have meant Glasgow.

When you look at the shape of Great Britain you can see the problem.

True.

I would do it from say Southend to Dublin. 275nm GC distance and if
one bent the leg a bit then it would be 300nm. Then one has to do 2
more landings somewhere, and I guess landings at the same airport
don't count (though the reg doesn't prohibit them).

Or one could do it coming back to the UK; one could land at Southend,
then Lydd, then Shoreham for example. Done.

There is absolutely no doubt that most American based DPEs would
accept my own x/c flights which are much longer e.g.
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/...whole-trip.gif
but the CFI I've got has so far refused. These were with a passenger
though (which the FAQ - if not the FAR - rules out) but I have
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/leax/route1.gif
and back which was solo.

Dublin gives a water crossing that's why I did Southend to Lands End via
Plymouth then back to Elstree via Hens.

The interesting conundrum I had was about getting back late i.e. after
sunset. The FAR requires the trip to be done VFR but there is no night VFR
in the UK. Its either SVFR or IFR. SVFR only counts in controlled airspace.
So try explaining that we can fly IFR without an instrument rating to a
DPE.
The issue is VMC and IMC as much as VFR and IFR. The difference is subtle
but there is a big difference.

BTW, The FAR makes it clear it has to be solo.