Old November 14th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default lightning strike protection

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:37:46 -0800, johnsinclair210 wrote:

What'd he say?
JJ

I thought it boiled down to "don't put short bits of insulator in metal
push-rods".

I read the BGA advice as "use stiff non-conducting tubes for aileron
pushrods and restrict the use of metal to the end fittings on them"
because this would stop the push-rods from being used as conductors which
generate enough ohmic heating the blow the wing skins off.

However, I don't have the background to understand whether this would
prevent the aileron-aileron linkage (via the in-fuselage control
connections) from acting as a lightning short-circuit without somehow
causing the main spars to take over as the prime short circuiting element.

Over to you, Mr. Firth

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK