Old August 19th 03, 04:06 AM
Stan Gosnell

(Snowbird) wrote in
om:

Yeah, I'm really tempted by these, but I prefer to wear contact lenses
when flying for better peripheral vision.

I can't put anything in my eyes. Plus, I only need the glasses for close-
up work like reading approach plates. Contacts wouldn't work anyway. Ever
since I saw the results of the mating of a seagull with a BH206, I always
wear something over my eyes. The pilot would be dead now if he hadn't been
wearing sunglasses.

Our CFI doesn't like pilots he flies with to use hoods. Apparently
he had a near-miss involving the blind spot they create. Can't argue
with that.

Oh, well...........
Have you considered a different CFI?

I know of one pilot who has made foggles
from some wrap-around safety glasses

That's what mine a old scratched-up safety glasses with an
area of the lens taped over, then attacked w/ sandpaper and a dremel
tool.

That's extreme. :-) Easier to mask the bottoms, & use some black spray
paint. They're still too thick for me, though. The earpieces on my
glasses are very thin wire, & anything thicker just doesn't cut it.

--
Regards,

Stan