Old February 26th 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Default Cellphone weather inflight

wrote in message
.. .
I was at the local Altell cellphone shop the other day, and they were
showing me a new USB doodad that you can plug into your laptop computer
and
use the internet anywhere they have signal coverage (most of the nation
from
the chart they showed me) at DSL speeds. It's aimed at people who are on
the
road a lot. Does anyone here have that service, does it work well for you,
and more importantly, does it work inflight? Might be a good answer for
those of us whose GPS' don't have XM Weather capability.

It is still a cellphone, and illegal to use in flight. Cellphones on
traditional frequencies are no good above several thousand feet, and the net
generation frequencies that technically are legal, seem to have their
antennas on the towers pointed downward, so contact is gone at a relatively
low altitude. No free lunch, here.