Old December 14th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

Default Frozen Flaps

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 03:02:00 -0500, Jeffrey Bloss wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:45:18 GMT, wrote:

On Dec 13, 3:35 pm, Scott Braddock wrote:

The most common cause of "frozen flaps" in Cessnas like yours are
the limit switches on the flap actuator, rather than the actuator
itself. A judicious application of a heat gun, through the
appropriate inspection panel, will free them up for a while.
They are relatively inexpensive to replace, however, and that's
what is needed for a more permanent fix.

Those little microswitches get oil in them from the jackscrew
threads, and the oil draws dust and crud and gunks up the switch
contacts with sludge. In the cold the sludge will congeal and make
the switch's mechanism stick, too. Replacing them is the best
thing, and you want to do it soon. If you had to abort a landing
and go around, the flaps on a 150/152 will hurt the climbout
dangerously; there's just too much drag.

There's too much jackscrew grease or the lube's spreading too easily if
its getting to the switches. Get it right. Alaskan 261 was running a
failing jackscrew which looked like lube drift.

I thought the 261 failed because it wasn't lubricated, maybe not. What
that has to do with a 150/2, I have no clue.