Old December 14th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Frozen Flaps

brian whatcott wrote:
I am still familiarizing with a newly acquired 150.
The other day I flew on a chilly evening just above freezing.
I applied flaps in the pattern, and when I landed, the flaps didn't want
to retract
I had earlier exercised the flaps on preflight without problem
and before the plane was put away, the flaps went up OK.

I guessed that the actuator froze up, so it probably needs lube to keep
the water away.... The flap motor fuse checked OK of course...

Any thoughts?

Brian W

When I had the Skyhawk and cleaning of relube of the jack screw for the
flaps was mandatory at annual. Has this been done? Or the motor can be
wearing out. the track on the flap rollers needs lubrication also.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP