Old January 5th 05, 02:44 PM
nafod40

snoop wrote:
Looking through all the posts from earlier this year, regarding the
sliding membership in our US soaring activities, along with all the
other trailing bad news, i.e. SSA building in need of big repairs,
there is no soaring operation in Hobbs, I'm curious about thoughts of
"what if the SSA became a division of the EAA, similar to the Vintage,
Classic, Warbird divisions of the EAA.

Two big airshow/conventions a year, EAA publishes all magazines, and a
lot of members at those fly-ins and airshows to ask the question "where
can I start". Plus lobbying power, and unlimited networking.
Just curious for thoughts.

I attend Airventure almost every year, and it amazes me the almost total
lack of soaring aircraft there. This is the biggest airshow on the
planet (maybe) and there are only a few gliders and motor gliders
sitting around. It's obviously not a place to go soaring, so I
understand that. But maybe an outlying field somewhere?

I posted this before, but getting approval to rig up a winch tow and
toss up gliders over Wittman before the gas burners are allowed to start
up and make their noise (8:00 AM) and take a circuit over the camping
area would be a HUGE thing. Folks heading off the brush their teeth,
hearing the whisper of an 18 meter glider float by. You could offer free
rides. You'd have a line from here to kingdom come, for sure.

You will never get a more dense pack of future soaring enthusiasts than
at Airventure. Take advantage of it!