Old October 24th 05, 01:53 AM
Stan Prevost

Default Question about Approach Plates

The "A " suffix is applied to the first approach generated for that city
name. "B" is for the second approach for that city name. It is not by
airport, but by city name.

"Russ MacDonald" wrote in message
One of my students asked me a question the other day that I have been
unable to answer.

Many instrument approaches are labeled with a letter following the primary
name and the letter indicates that the final approach course is not lined
up (beyond 30 degrees) with any runway, and that a circling approach is
required. For example: VOR-A.

That said, what is the difference between VOR-A, VOR-B, VOR-C, etc? Does
the letter have any additional significance? Why, at some airports is
there a VOR-B or VOR-C but no VOR-A? Is it because there used to be a
VOR-A and it was decommissioned?

Thanks,

Russ MacDonald, CFII