Old January 17th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

Default Personal Minimums SEL?

I'm curious what Instrument Rated members of this group use for
personal minimums for takeoff and landing for single engine aircraft.

Each case is different, so I don't set personal minimums. That's too
broad a stroke. While in theory this leaves me vulnerable to pushing
the limits because "I gotta get there", in reality I do not do that
(evidenced by tempting flights I've turned down) so I'm not concerned
about not being conservative enough.

I'd launch into fog where I could see blue, and I'd be on top in thirty
seconds. No problem. The chance of an engine failure at =just= the
wrong time is low enough that I accept it the way I accept other
inherent risks of flying. I'd be more concerned about widespread low
conditions at my destination - if the weather goes any lower and I can't
get in anywhere, that's a problem. So I want real alternates thoughout
the flight.

I'd do approaches to minimums. That's what my rating is for. However,
I'd want an alternative that is not to minimum within my gas range.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.