Old June 9th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
John Ewing

Default The real benefits of high fuel prices

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote in message

"Michael Henry" wrote in message
node...
Stealth Pilot wrote:

the other thing I like about high fuel prices is that the chinese have
to pay them as well. that'll slow the buggers down. maybe the jobs
will stop being exported over to them in the long run.

That's a pretty archaic view! It is Chinese demand for our natural
resources which is making the Australian dollar so strong! As Ben Lee
said "We're all in this together"

I'm of the opinion that high fuel prices are good for another reason: it
makes alternative fuels more viable. I look forward to the day when
we're all running aero-diesels burning biofuel. (The current perception
by consumers that biofuel is responsible for high food prices is
rubbish. Destruction of native forests for the planting of feedstock is
a bigger issue. We'll work it out eventually...)

Skip biofuel ... go straight to zero pollution hydrogen powered vehicles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

http://www.science.org.au/nova/063/063print.htm

John

Maybe you should read what you posted. Currently the production of
hydrogen for comerical use uses far more energy that a petrol motor.

Maybe I did. Thanks for your other observation. And for your apt
qualification - the word "currently".

Let us hope those Governments with funds available for research divert the
billions they are spending on oil wars into long term viable, sustainable
and pollution-free energy options. I think hydrogen is certainly one to be
considered. Biofuels may have a role as a stop-gap measure.

Cheers,
John