Old July 20th 03, 12:24 AM
Tom S.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
Around here it is fairly common, especially on the highways. When I go

70
in a 55 zone most every car is blowing by me like I am standing still,

and
honking as they do.

Where is "around here"? I've driven all over the country and never found
myself in an area where the median traffic speed was 30 mph over the speed
limit (I figure "blowing by me" must mean the other cars are at least as
much faster than you, as you are faster than the speed limit).

70 in a 55 is FIFTEEN over, not THIRTY.

Forgive me if I'm a bit incredulous of your claim. People drive crazy,

but
I've never seen them drive *that* crazy, not in the US, not as a rule

("most
every car") rather than an exception.

Do the math...and the original post was about someone doing 80 in a 35...45
over the limit.

A few years back my wife was hit broadside (in an Acura) by a Honda Civic
that left 93 feet of skidmarks then impacted with enough force to push her
car about fifteen feet and spin it 270 degrees. This was in a 45MPH zone.

The cops charged her since, well, she DID PULL IN FRONT OF AN ONCOMING
VEHICLE. We beat it in court by getting a accident expert to run the
diagrams and ascertain that the car was doing at least 77 and possibly 85 in
a 45 zone. Our argument was that while she DID LOOK, she was not looking,
and could not be expected to look, nearly a half mile up the street. The
cops felt it was "not worth the effort" to conduct even a moderately through
investigation since no one was killed and the injuries were only slight
(thnak you Acura!!). As long as they had someone to charge their paperwork
was all they worried about.

My point is that the 80 in a 35 is a very rare exception and this is not
what aircraft monitoring is targeting.