Old November 14th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default NTSB final report on Hendrick crash

In the text of the NTSB report, the GPS display was located
on the center console and would have required looking 90
degrees and down for the pilots to see.

"Peter" wrote in message

| Sam Spade wrote:
|
| The KLN 90B gps has a small moving map in its panel
display. The NTSB
| report alluded to the standard practice was for a track
up orientation.
| Given that the moving map screen is fairly short
vertically, maybe half
| its width, in the track up presentation it may not have
been as obvious
| that they had overflown their waypoints...
|
| Of course, from an armchair quarterbacking perspective,
almost all of my
| inflight GPS experience has been behind King products,
the KLN 89B, -90B
| and KLX-135, and didn't seem to have a problem with the
display or
| depictions. The display was also not on the center
console between the
| pilots, facing up (as opposed to on the main panel).
|
| I work with this technology all the time, from the
current air carrier
| stuff down to the Garmin line. I find I am very
comfortable with the
| maps the Garmin 500 series have. I find less comfort
level with the
| Garmin 400 series (I prefer my handheld 296's map to the
400 series).

| I have flown a few times in a Cessna with a King 89 and
90. I find
| those moving maps to be virtually useless, and bad human
factors, at
| least for an occasional user of those devices.
|
| Interesting read... I have a KLN94 and a KMD550 MFD.
|
| I am UK based and here we have no full GPS approaches, and
there are
| just a few around the rest of Europe. However, most of the
| conventional approaches do have the "overlays" in the Jepp
database.

| I have not looked up the approach plate for the airport
under
| discussion here but it sounds like it was a conventional
approach and
| anything that was shown on their GPS would have been the
overlay of
| that conventional approach.
|
| As such I am suprised the GPS did anything much useful and
I am very
| suprised they were relying on it for any sort of waypoint
sequencing.
| The KLN94 still switches from 5nm FS to 1nm FS (within
30nm of the
| runway) even on an overlay, but it doesn't go on to the
0.3nm FS mode.

| Personally, when I fly conventional approaches (which as I
say is
| always when flying an IAP) I use the GPS moving map for
lateral
| guidance (especially to establish accurately on the FAT on
NDB
| approaches) and general situational awareness and have
never attempted
| to use it for any waypoint distances.
|
| I don't think this crew were viewing any sort of moving
map; if they
| were they would have noticed that they passed the runway.
However, the
| KLN90 moving map is awful, as is the KLN94 one, so I am
not suprised
| [if] they weren't watching it.
|
| On a slightly different tack, it's good to see that one is
able to
| dissect these accidents and learn from them without
getting jumped on.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/sites/aai...06__g_bomg.cfm

| was posted, and when I suggested that the pilot probably
didn't look
| at his altimeter for 1-2 *minutes* while inexplicably not
using his
| autopilot (and descended into the sea) I got severely
jumped on for
| criticising these "low grade aircraft" commercial pilots
(who tend to