Old March 14th 04, 11:00 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:42:08 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
wrote:

In general, however, the Navy is migrating to no gun-based CIWS at all.
LPD-17 has just RAM and 30mm Mk 46 turrets for small-baot defense. Unless
things change from what was shown at concept design, DD(X) will have 40mm
guns for close-in defnse, but not for anti-missile duties. If they do
change, I think the most likely swap will be to 30mm MK 46 turrets in place
of the 40mm, but still with no missile-defense role. For anti-missile
defense, it will rely on ESSM.

What's the 40mm proposed for the DD(X)? I had assumed from the few
concept drawings they'd be using the Mk 46 turrets for commonality to
start with.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster