Old April 10th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

Default Charlie Spratt

A little known secret. Charlie was more competitive than most of the competitors. We needed the last day of a Regional to make it a contest. The day forecast was for strong winds, low thermal tops, weak lift and blue. Charlie set an out and return task with the turnpoint straight down wind just further than the minimum distance required for a valid contest day. When I asked Charlie how he expected the competitors to get home, "not my problem". While everyone ultimately landed out, the minimum distance was achieved by just enough competitors and we had a contest. I landed near the town of Earth and got to tell my crew that I had landed NW of Earth. Loved that guy.