Old March 8th 04, 11:48 PM
Rick Glasser

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:48:18 +0000, Michael 182 wrote:

A thread in RAO referenced nice guys in aviation. Let's give them credit.
Give an example when someone went above and beyond for you.

I got to the airport around 4:00 on a summer morning in Indianapolis.
During preflight I switched on the master to lower the flaps and check the
fuel gauges. Unfortunately, the master was already on. Some fool had left
it on the night before. Since it was my plane, and I'm the only one who
ever flew it, I had a vague suspicion who might be guilty.

The line guy at the FBO (this is the embarrassing part - years ago - I
don't remember which FBO) tried jumping the plane from his car. No luck -
the battery was truly drained. He called in a mechanic who arrived by
5:00, attached me to a charger, and had me on my way by 6:00. They told me
there was no charge ("we don't charge for a little electricity") and
refused to accept any tip. Given that I hate getting up early, I thought
this was pretty amazing.

I've met dozens of people like this at FBO's around the country. In
general, the most customer service-oriented group of businesses I know.

Michael

Back east here, Maxwell McCready, the airport manager at Crisfield, MD
(W41) is a legend. He brings homemade soup and bread to the shack on
Sundays in the winter. He will take you into town and back for the
"best" Maryland blue crab; he still does this in his own car after the
county sold his airport van. After I mentioned wishing I could pick up
some Silver Queen corn last fall, he drove us around to 3 roadside stands
trying to find some, but, due to the late hour, they were all closed.
Don't take my word for it, see many other's comments on $100 Hamburger and
AirNav.

--
Rick/JYO
PP-ASEL-IA