Old January 15th 05, 10:40 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:09:04 -0600, Jim Carriere
wrote:

Suffice to say they still have many good methods of instruction to
get the point across when you're in the camp.

Indeed. ;-)

I was a guest of PRONA (The People's Republic of North America) in the
fall of '69. I still have the book of matches they gave us after
"liberation" emblazoned: "PRONA: You're a Stranger Here But Once."

When I went the Maine woods were not yet terribly cold, so at one
point the whole camp was down to skivvie shorts and boots with no
laces. Picture 8 or 9 guys so clad working either end of a cross cut
saw on a 24" log and you have quite an image!

For a week or two after getting back, I remember every time I saw an
animal I'd start thinking of a way to try to catch it and eat it.
Fun stuff.

We all went out to dinner the night we got back at a buffet near NAS
Brunswick. Everybody loaded up and quickly found that a week without
significant food leaves you quite unable to do any buffet justice.

I also appreciated my freedom more than I ever thought
was possible.

Well said.

Oh, I made a few photocopies of my SERE letter to be safe, just in
case I lost it. I stopped short of stashing them all around the
house, distributing copies to family and friends, burying one in a
safe place...

I still have a copy of mine in my safe deposit box. Sometimes
paranoia dies hard. :-)

Bill Kambic