Old August 17th 04, 03:46 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dico Reyers wrote:
I'm just wondering about the resale. If I had an old house and built
a swimming pool outside for 20,000$... if I went to sell the whole
place I'd never get that money back out of the pool. Is it the same
with airplanes?

It's worse with airplanes. The value of an airplane goes up roughly
by the used value of the installed avionics. After you factor in the
cost of the radios and the installation cost you probably only get
about 50% back. If you upgrade a plane beyond its typical mission
(eg if you put a CNX-80 in a Cessna 150, or if I put weather radar in
my Comanche) you will probably recoup even less.

Plus a major upgrade like that will have the plane down for months.
It's likely you could sell it and then buy a different plane and have
less downtime.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/