Old January 25th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Strobe light on glider

At 06:49 25 January 2017, Ian wrote:
On 25/01/2017 01:00, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

There was another study that I posted a link to a couple of months
ago. That study concluded that a reflective foil (mirror like) is
hugely more effective than LED lights in bright light.

The UK Military gliding group did a study into high visibility markings
years ago. They did a bunch of flight tests with motor gliders. I think
they found that most markings were not very effective, but reflective
mirror strips on the control surfaces were the most useful. As the
controls move about there is more chance of a reflection flash catching
the other pilots attention.

It was written up in Sailplane and Gliding. It would probably be worth
finding that article before you spend money on anything.

Problem is that adding foil to the control surfaces would probably alter
the weight and balance beyond limits