Old December 19th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:35:02 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/18/2019 5:19 PM:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:58:16 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Foster wrote on 12/18/2019 4:41 PM:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 9:06:14 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 7:42:30 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

My wife got a warning from a CA trooper for NOT ALLOWING sufficient space between her and the vehicle in front for speeding trucks to pass her on a 2-lane highway!

Tom

Always amazing when you get in trouble for accidentally keeping someone else from breaking the law, isn't it?

Steve Leonard

Gotta love that California mind-set where the criminal has more rights than the victim.

I'm with the trooper, who sounds generous in giving only a warning (mercy for an
out of state driver?). I've often been forced to drive below the speed limit for
many miles on two lane roads by vehicles that do not pass the lead vehicle, but
follow too closely to safely pass them. It's a difficult situation when I'm
driving a car, very difficult when driving the motorhome, and generally impossible
when I'm towing the glider trailer with my motorhome. If you aren't going to pass,
please, please leave space for others to do so.

You didn't read my comment very well - my wife WAS driving the speed limit: any trucks wanting to pass would have been SPEEDING. They wanted her to leave TWO spaces for semi's to pull in.

Ah, you didn't say semi's. I thought you meant big trucks without trailers. I
still admire and encourage his concern about people that follow closely, even if
he mishandled that situation. It's rare that people get reprimanded for following
too closely, even though it can trigger dangerous driving from other people trying
to pass.

A semi IS a truck. This was not about "following too closely," this was about leaving space for TWO semi's to pass her and pull in. AND the semi's would have to be clearly speeding. When you are pacing with traffic you DON'T leave such large gaps. It just shows that the CA trooper was not worried AT ALL about speeding trucks. He actually admonished her about being OVER THE LIMIT (55 mph) at 60 mph.

Tom