Old July 18th 03, 01:56 AM
Bob Gardner

As I indicated in a post in the other WAAS thread, there is no apparent
intent to decommission all navaids except GPS through at least 2020.

Bob Gardner

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
Suppose the FAA truly does plan to decommission all navaids except GPS.

How long do you think it would take to design, test, and publish

replacement
WAAS GPS approaches to replace every ILS, LOC, or other approach in
existence today which does not meet the criteria for a straight GPS

overlay
approach?

As food for thought, one of the advantages of even non-WAAS GPS is

supposed
to be the ability to publish approaches to any airport in the U.S. Well,
years after the introduction of GPS my own home airport (KWAY) still does
not have an instrument approach of any type at all; a request is pending,
but I have been told it could be a long wait.

So any guess how long it would take to convert all current approaches to
either GPS overlay or GPS WAAS so that we could decommission all the other
navaids?

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com