Old September 12th 05, 01:45 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article . net,
"Hilton" wrote:
I just want to be able to see all the information clearly - simple as that.
During an approach, you're looking at the top for the frequencies, at the
bottom for the minimums and missed instructions, also looking at the chart
for step downs, intersections, VOR frequencies, radials etc etc etc.
Basically, I believe that during an approach, a pilot is referencing the
*entire* plate and I have to assume that the added task of scrolling on a
small device while in IMC on an approach is adding an unnecessary
task/distraction.

I guess I'm different. I almost NEVER reference the plate during the
approach. I brief the approach prior to commencement and memorize the
inbound course, step downs, and MDA/DH. I ignore the missed
instructions until I'm actually on the missed (hint: step #1 is always
CLIMB).

That being said, I do prefer to have the plate in front of me, and I
rarely fly single-pilot IFR. I usually have the non-flying pilot brief
the approach for me and then hand me the plate. Maybe that's cheating.

JKG