Old July 7th 03, 12:32 PM
Rob van Riel

Ralph Savelsberg wrote in message ...
However, the speed advantage was offset by the G-limitation of the
airframe. It was limited to something like 3Gs, which meant that it was
vulnerable to SAMs. Phantoms were often able to outmanoeuvre an
approaching SAM, but for a less agile aircraft like the Vigilante, this
would have been much more difficult.

I'm not too sure about this. I seem to remember reading about an
unauthorised "dogfight" between an A-5 and an F-4 (as I recall, the
A-5 was intercepted by F-4s during an exercise, and rather than
playing dead, decided to pretend it had a gun and went after his
attacker). The F-4 was not pleased with the things the A-5 did to
him...
If this is true, the agility of the A-5 would be better than you imply
here.

Of course, I might be totally confused, or the report may have been a
legend. Can anyone confirm this?

Rob