Old February 11th 04, 08:46 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , ArtKramr
writes
Subject: Radio Silence and Death over Frankfort
From: "M. J. Powell"
Date: 2/11/04 7:54 AM Pacific Standard Time
In message , ArtKramr
writes
From: "M. J. Powell"

landed

snip

Art, I would like to ask some stupid questions. Why keep radio silence
then? If someone had put a quick question to the lead a/c what would
have been lost? Your radio frequencies were changed for each mission? It
would have been amazing if the enemy heard the transmissions. If he had,
what would he have gained? There wouldn't have been time to DF you. And
he knew where you were anyway.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Of course they knew we were there. They were shooting at us. And every one

of
us thought just that. But we can't have a situation where radio silence must

be
kept unless someone thinks other wise. In that case everyone would be

blabbing
over the radio all the damn time. So the rule is trict and allows for no
exceptions. Radio silence. Always radio silence. No exceptions. No matter
what. It is the way we were trained. and that is how we flew our missions.

For
better or for worse.

Weeelll......I hate to criticise, but surely real emergencies can take
priority? The formation captain (?) can close down any chatter, as on an
intercom.

To lose a couple of planes and crews for want of a short comment, seems
a very high price to pay for prohibiting something that serves a useful
purpose.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

I agree. But Ike thought otherwise. (sigh)

I wonder who his Chief Signals Officer was?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell