Old May 6th 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Jantar 2b opinions sought

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 3:18:56 PM UTC-6, Gary O'Neill wrote:
I am a big guy and on a limited budget, the Jantar 2b is an option, big

cockpit good performance etc ,I have flown a standard Jantar when I was

doing a lot of hours in an ASW19 and found it different but good glider.

Small paddocks here mean high landing energy is an issue, at my age I would

prefer it a bit easier

My preferred list in order for old open class is Nimbus2c (for its

airbrakes, but pricey), Jantar 2B, ASW17 (very heavy though)

Things I would like to know are opinions on a 2Bs handling/flying,

maintenance issues ,parts supplies

Factory support etc

German gliders generally have 12,000 hrs lifespan, how does the Jantar 2b

compare

Gary

Never flown one, but I owned a share in a Jantar Std 2 and liked it's performance, really an honest 40/1 glider. That said, my former BGA senior inspector thought the Jantar wing hinges wore out much more quickly than German builds. That said, big wings will bring you home more often. Rigging aids are part of the equation if you own one of these big paneled birds.

The only drawback to a 2B that I'm told is that it's not fitted for ground launch. Sorry, but I need to be able to auto tow or winch.

Re-sale is something of a consideration.

IIRC, original life of a Jantar Std was 1500 hours. No idea of current thinking.

Frank Whiteley