Old July 31st 19, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Wing Contour?

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:00:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone tell me specifically how to tell how closely a wing is following its intended shape or to know if it has "issues"? Also, if I'm sanding, polishing or refinishing it, how do I accurately correct for any deficiencies? Asking for a friend... : )

The best way I am aware of is to get top and bottom templates made for several stations from the root outwards to check the actual profile against the theoretical one. Not sure if any of the manufacturers offer that sort of help but if you know the airfoil designation, someone in the know can calculate the coordinates. It takes a good 'smoothing' or interpolation algorithm to get the wrinkles out of that curve. With access to a large CNC router one can then mill such template set from a thin AL-sheet.

Uli
'AS'