Old August 13th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:38:43 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
What are your favorite aircraft types (and modifications) for glider towing in high density altitude and/or short runways?

I fly a heavy two-seater and have been towed in hot/high locations (DA around 10k') behind a Pawnee 235, CallAir A9, C188 AgWagon and a C185 SkyWagon. All four did a reasonable job with the C188 being the best. I think the Pawnee and definitely the two Cessnas had a constant speed prop and did actually better than the CallAir, which I was told had the most HP. I have no idea if any one of them had turbo-charged engines. A low wing, constant speed prop and lots of uumph seems to be the winning combination.

Uli
'AS'