Old August 20th 03, 12:01 AM
Gary L. Drescher

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
In the most professionally bored voice I can muster, I key up and say

"Baron
123, traffic alert, traffic two o'clock, two miles converging from the

right
indicating 7000, suggest you turn right heading 180 immediately."

A question just occurred to me, Chip. Might it not get a slightly quicker
response from the pilot if your voice sounded urgent rather than
professionally-bored? This is a human-factors question that I don't know
the answer to, but it seems plausible that an urgent tone would be helpful,
especially for the typical low-time pilot who has read about traffic alerts
but never actually received one before.

By the same token, if I get momentarily overloaded when flying IFR, I
usually avoid trying to affect an unflustered tone when I talk to ATC
(though I still try to be clear and concise, of course). Pride aside, I
figure it's better if they can tell that I'm having a little difficulty
keeping up.

--Gary