Old September 12th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Stan Hall passed away this morning - SSA Hall of Fame member

Al wrote:
On Sep 8, 3:21 pm, wrote:
I helped rescue Tony Condons Cherokee from oblivion (along with Dave
Shuur at Lawrenceville who did most of the work) and got it into
Tony's hands. I too called Stan on the phone a couple of times and he
was amazingly sharp and very helpful. We were having some weight and
balance issues and Stan went back to his original plans to dig up the
datum and limits for us. I asked how he was getting along healthwise
(a few years ago) and he said that he was installing a garage door at
the moment so he must not be doing too bad for a 90 some year old
guy! I really regret I never got to shake his hand. He was a legend
and a hell of a nice guy. Perhaps Dean and Dick and marking thermals
for him in the great beyond.
Matt Michael

Way back when I first started gliding I exchanged emails with Stan on
a number of topic's

I didnt know he was one of the US pioneer's of soaring then but
always enjoyed emailing with him.
What was funny was he would always sign off as "THE Stan Hall"

Final glide Stan.

Al

Stan Hall became one of my first soaring heros/icons/'admirants' when I
started getting "Soaring" mag late 1972, thanks to his (very many, over
the years) columns/submissions/etc. Pretty soon I began keeping copies
of all his "Homebuilder's Hall" columns, and have had more than a few
occasions over the decades to refer to 'em. I *think* I bought a copy of
his book/collections referred to in this thread's original post, just
because I could and as a sign of respect for the man, but I know I can
lay my hands on the self-generated collection more quickly...a measure
of how honored a spot in my collection it still has.

I never met the man, but sure would have liked to.

Godspeed, Stan.

Bob W.