Old August 22nd 03, 07:04 PM
Roger Tracy

I usually depart VFR and pick up my clearance after takeoff with departure
at the nearby Class C. Often I won't even have to ask for it .. when I
report
airborne they'll say .. "I'll bet you're looking for your clearance .. "
and give it
to me. I'm in Nebraska. Unless they've got a notice out about not picking
up clearances airborne .. what grounds would they have to chew you out?

Sounds to me like you've just got a bunch of overworked, crabby
controllers out there.

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Maybe this is a Potomac area thing. In Colorado I have never been refused

clearance by Denver Approach. The worst that ever happened was about 5
minutes of circling while I waited for the controller to have enough time

take care of me. The only time I ever get a clearance on the ground is if

it
is IFR weather for the departure, and that is rare in Colorado.